Thursday, April 15, 2010

Greek Corner Tragedy

Since I started the Metabolism Miracle I've been doing all my own cooking and food prep, not trusting myself to venture out in the Land of Restaurant Food.  And it's not just trusting myself but really not knowing if there would be anything on the menu that I could eat that would fit in Step One.  Well, I found that out Wednesday.

Background: At the slender and tender age of 19 I was working full-time at night and going to college full-time during the day, scheduling my favorite Reebok step class around all of it. I was the token "youngster" in the Reebok class since it was during the day and women my mom's age or stay-at-home moms would go.  It was awesome and I made some lifelong friendships but when I finished college I lost touch with them until 2000 when we reconnected and now have lunch one a month, hence this entry.

Okay - so we met at this restaurant called The Greek Corner and upon my first perusal of the menu, there was NOTHING I could have on there.  The server was trying to hurry me up to look at the menu to order and when I informed her I was trying to find something I could eat, she grabbed the freaking menu out of my hands and starting pointing out all the things she thought I could eat. WTF!???!!!!!  How rude and please, does she know what eating plan I'm on or if I have food allergies?  I think not!

I did not bitch-slap her and grab the menu, though I really, really, really wanted to and I was hungry, dammit! Instead, I politely informed her I would need a couple of minutes and I'd be able to give her my request. Ugh.  I wanted the Pastichio or a Gyro or something like that but unfortunately, the only item on the menu to fit within Step One was the "spicy chicken salad".  Good thing I brought extra stuff to eat at work because the salad consisted of chopped romaine lettuce, onions, and cucumbers with a bit of spicy cooked chicken.  THAT'S IT!!!! The salads I make at home are so much better and I don't charge a ridiculous $12 for it either.

It was such a tragedy - I stoically suffered through my rabbit food while those about me gnoshed on tender lamb meat gyros, fettucini, baklava, and pasitchio.  The diet fairies mopped my weary brow and spooned coffee to my lips to help me keep my energy.  ((sigh)) I almost slipped into the depths of despair. 

For dinner? I made a delicious chicken paprikash - and can I add, i just like saying "paprikash" with an annoying inflection and accent - along with a broccoli/cheese dish. Take THAT Greek "Tragic" Corner!  Never again will I waste away of hunger at your doorstep!

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea why some might find you a wee dramatic. Can't understand how they'd get that impression... Huh.

    The broccoli cheese dish sounds really good right now. But then I had crappy pizza for lunch that isn't sitting right with my stomach. Ugh.

    I very much understand the whole "nothing on the menu you can eat" dilemma. It's bad enough trying to find something for myself when I don't eat beef and chicken. But when I'm on an eating plan like SBD, that makes it even worse. Hopefully the next place you eat out at will be better equipped to meet your dietary needs. :)

    ReplyDelete