Wednesday, April 7, 2010

An Introduction Please!

Greetings to anyone who might have the masochistic desire to read this rambling drivel as I navigate my way through a "lifestyle" change for what seems to be the millionth time in my lifetime.  Like most women, I am attempting yet another diet program that I hope will enable me to lose the weight I can't seem to get rid of and have it be a permanent change. Maybe. I hope. Please God! 


You see,  I was always a scrawny kid, thin and "coltish", that is until I hit puberty.  Happy 13th Birthday **PTHPT** Insta-boobs at a 36C and the hips to go with the great titans. I could no longer be a "normal" kid eating whatever I wanted (or wearing the cute tween/teen clothes-no fair!) but had to minimize the junk food and stay active, which I managed to do in Junior High, High School, and College.  Once I was in the "real world" though, the problems started and I would gain weight, change my eating habits, exercise more, lose it for a while, and then gain it all back.


Amidst all the frustration I found out I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) resulting in insulin resistance which results in weight gain that's impossible to lose. ARGH!!! Frustrating but I can't change my genetic code so what do you do but continue the same trial and error mistakes over and over and over again.


In 2005 a nurse practitioner finally listened to my frustration and placed me on Phentermine (which I only stayed on for 5 months) and Metformin, which I'm still sort of on.  Between the meds and working out 6 days a week (training for a women's triathlon) I lost 35 pounds and dropped from a size 16 to a size 10.  It was a miracle and I was on top of the world although I did start having a a period almost every month, which was foreign considering I used to have one only once a year. Yeah - you can hate me. I've heard it all before.


Unfortunately, the weight loss and the "normal" flow of my hormones made me nuts with crazy mood swings that were all over the place.  At one point I thought I was going to lose my mind but about 18 months ago I was placed on an anti-depressant to keep me level; however, unbeknownst to me it was one that had the major side effect of weight gain. Yeah. WEIGHT GAIN!!!!  Since I started taking the anti-depressant  I have put on 25 pounds despite exercising regularly (3-5 days a week) and eating mostly healthy.  I'd be lying if I said I ate like a rabbit, worked out 3 hours a day, and still put on weight. But STILL!!!


A new GP took me off the weight gain bastard anti-depressant and started me out on something oh so much better as well as putting me back on Phentermine for 5 months. I did not lose an OUNCE, not even with my mostly healthy eating habits. And trust me, when I say mostly healthy, it means I hardly eat out, don't eat fast food, don't drink soda, don't binge, don't overeat, don't eat items high in sugar or fat, etc.  At this point I'm depressed and thinking nothing is going to work until I had an accident.


I was buying University of Nebraska fan items for my man on Amazon and unbeknownst to be, I had left 2 books in my online cart that I had looked at months ago and forgotten completely about.  They were "the Insulin Resistance Diet" and "The Metabolism Miracle". Great, I thought, now I'm stuck with 2 diet books that will acquire dust on the shelf.


But I pulled up my big girl panties and started reading the Insulin Resistance Diet - and wasn't too impressed.  Oh and my doctor had referred me to a Premier Weightloss Clinic saying they could help me, all the while I was mentally flipping him off because he was not helping me and totally ignoring the "do no harm" of the physicians creed since my mental state would slip even further if I attended a "fat farm".  The clinic had programs that wouldn't work for me - I had already freaking tried them!!!!


Last week, however, I started reading "The Metabolism Miracle" and felt like the author had interviewed me for the book.  She wrote about exactly what I had been and am dealing with.  In light of this kindred spirit, so to speak, and my need to at least try something, I decided to start the Metabolism Miracle "Diet". 


This blog is a diary of my journey with all the good, bad, and ugly, the whining, bitching, and moaning, as well as any sucesses, triumphs, and all results.  I'm also hoping that keeping this diary will help keep me sane as I change a handful of little things that add up for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment